Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Frugal Lunch - Loaded Potatos

I keep 3 things on hand for the basis for lunches - rice, baked potato, and bread. I can usually do something with one of the three and the leftovers I have in the fridge. It beats sandwiches day in and day out and allows me to reduce waste and make the most of our money.

Of the three, I think the baked potato is my favorite canvas to create a masterpiece of lunch. It's filling, healthy (depending on how you top it) and everything goes well on top.

Couple of ways to fix a plain potato

Chicken Taco Leftovers - shredded seasoned chicken, sweet corn, pico de gallo, cheese, sour cream, sauteed peppers, etc

Cheesy Broccoli - this was leftover veggies from a restaurant (because they give you a whole head) cheese and a bit of sour cream

OTHER OPTIONS:
Beef Fajita - seasoned steak, corn, peppers, pico de gallo, cheese, sour cream, etc
Soup - cheesy broccoli, beef & barley, corn chowder, chicken fajita, etc.
BBQ Pork
Ham & Cheese
Pepper Steak
Etc

TIP: Potato Coking
When making baked potatoes for dinner, I simply make extra. Before wrapping in foil, I drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil on each and rub to coat the potato. Sprinkle on a good bit of sea salt and poke a few holes in to vent steam. Wrap them up in foil and place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your feedback.