Pages

Monday, May 25, 2009

For the Love of Pancakes

I'll start this out with true confessions... I LOVE PANCAKES.

Now, this may be a bit dramatic for many of you, but I truly enjoy this breakfast/brunch/occasional dinner food. I enjoy their ease in making, wide appeal, cost effectiveness, multiple variations, kid friendliness, and ability to eat them healthy or completely decadent.

Now, I could share many different recipes of pancakes from scratch - but honestly, those are ones that I'll save for holidays. But for everyday, quick breakfast this is what I do. I take my standard pancake mix that I've purchased from the store - and add it it. You can make breakfast, most less than $3, all under $5. Here are a few of my favorite combos...

VARIATIONS

* Pumpkin Spice Pancakes *
1/2 c Pumpkin , 2 t Cinnamon, Dash Nutmeg, 1 T Milled Flax Seed

* Oatmeal Pancakes *
1/2 c Oatmeal, 1 T Milled Flax Seed, 2 t Cinnamon

* Apple & Spice Pancakes *
1/2 c Chopped Apples, 1 T Milled Flax Seed & 2 t Cinnamon

* Raspberry Dream Pancakes *
1/2 c Raspberries & 1/4 c chopped white chocolate

* Sour Cream Blueberry Pancakes *
1/3 c Sour cream & 1/2 c blueberries

* Chocolate Chip Pancakes *
1/2 c Mini chocolate chips

* Colored Cakes *
Food Coloring - green St Patty's, etc

TOPPINGS
(Individual or combine them)

* Butter & Syrup *
* Powdered Sugar *
* Butter & Sprinkles *
* Whipped Cream *
* Crushed Fruit *
(Strawberries, Raspberries, Applesauce, Peaches, etc)
* Fruit Sauces *
(blueberries or blackberries, heated with sugar, & cornstarch)
* Buttered Granola *
(oatmeal, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, honey cooked together)
* Whipped Cream Cheese *
(8 oz block + 1/2c powdered sugar + 1 tsp vanilla)

Mix it up this week. Add 1/2 cup of something new to your pancakes this week. You may have to add a bit more water to the mix if it makes it too thick. Be sure to use a hot skillet or griddle that is well greased (butter or oil spray). Serve warm.

Break out the cookie cutters and make something fun out them as well. A train pancake whenever, snowflakes for the first snow fall, letters of their name, etc.

Who says you can't play with your food?

1 comment:

  1. I love your recipes - thank you for taking the time to share them with photos. A book that helped me alot when I was first married was Open Home Open Heart - helped me understand what real hospitality really is.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your feedback.