1 lb Spicey Sausage, browned and drained
2 med Potatoes, cut in half lengthwise and cut into 1/4" slices
3/4 c Onions, diced
6 Slices bacon, chopped
2 t Garlic, minced
2 c Kale leaves, chopped
2 T Chicken base
1 qt Water
1/3 c Heavy whipping cream
- Chop up bacon in small pieces and cook in a large soup pot. When crisp, remove the bacon and sauté the onion in 1 T bacon drippings until clear.
- Add garlic and cook one minute. Add chicken base, water and potatoes, simmer 15 minutes.
- Add bacon, sausage, kale and cream. Simmer 4 – 10 minutes and serve.
- Soup can be made ahead of time and cooled to remove fat from the top for a healthier version of the soup. Actually is better reheated or simmered longer.
- Freezes well. Put in freezer bag and freeze flat. When frozen, stack upright in small tote/box in freezer with other soups/sauces to save space.
Potatoes $.30 (Meijer)
Onions $.25 (Aldi's)
Bacon $1.00 (Aldi's)
Kale leaves $1.50 (Meijer)
Cream $.50 (Costco)