Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Chop Suey

This was what I asked my mom to make for my birthday meal growing up. This is definitely an "americanized" version of chop suey, but I love it non-the-less. Total comfort food for a cool fall day.


2 lb Pork roast, cut into bite sized pieces
2 T Oil
1 Medium onion, chopped
1/3 c Molasses
2 T Soy Sauce
1 lg Cans (28 oz) Chinese vegetables
Cornstarch

Sauté onions in oil in a large Dutch oven. Add pork and brown meat. Cover meat with water and bring to a boil. Add molasses and soy sauce.

Put in a 350 degree oven for 2 hours. Bring back to the stove top, add Chinese vegetables and heat over medium heat until heated through. Thicken with cornstarch to desired consistency. Serve over rice or chow mein noodles. Can easily double the batch to feed a big crowd.

TOTAL COSTS: $6.95
Pork $4.00 (Meijer - sale)
Onion $.20 (Aldi's)
Vegetables $2.00 (Meijer - sale)
Molasses $.75 (Meijer)

VARIATIONS:
I have non. I love it the way it is. Adapt til your heart's content

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your feedback.