Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Fried Couscous

This is a little take on fried rice but with couscous instead. I made WAY too much one night and my boys decided they didn't like it so that left me with LOTS leftover. So that left me with time to experiment with it for lunch the next several days.

So here is a couple of takes on a light tasting lunch. Let me tell ya, I'm hoping for more leftovers to try this again. I'm also gonna try this with quinoa for a gluten-free take on this...

(for 2)
2 c Cooked couscous (or quinoa)
2/3 c Steak, finely chopped
1/3 c Carrots, finely chopped
2 T Fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 t Garlic, minced
2 T Lime juice
1 T Olive oil
1/4-1/3 c Water or beef broth
salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add steak and carrots to pan and cook 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and stir frequently, 1 minute. Add water or broth to deglaze the pan (pick up the drippings). Add couscous and mix thoroughly. Remove from heat and add cilantro and lime juice. Serve immediately.

(serves 2)
2 c Cooked couscous (or quinoa)
2/3 c Chicken, finely chopped
1/3 c Carrots, finely chopped
1/3 c Tomato, finely chopped
1 t Garlic, minced
1 T Olive oil
1/4-1/3 c Water or chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add chicken and carrots to pan and cook 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and stir frequently, 1 minute. Add water or broth to deglaze the pan (pick up the drippings). Add couscous and mix thoroughly. Remove from heat and add tomatoes.

Total Costs: $2.50 *
Couscous - $1.00 (Sunmart)
Steak/Chicken - $1.00 (Cashwise)
Veggies - $.50 (Cashwise)
Seasoning - from stock

* I made this completely with leftovers both days so I count as free since the costs were figured into other meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your feedback.