Pages

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Jicama Lime Chicken Salad

It just tastes like summer or an island treat. Lime and cilantro - what's not to love about that? A college friend of mine passed along a recipe for a creamy jicama chicken taco that I adapted into this salad. I waited until my manly meat eaters left the house on day and celebrated my solitude with this salad. Someday my my boys will appreciate it. If not, more for me.

2 Romaine hearts or 1 leaf lettuce, chopped
1-2 T oil
1 Lime
1/4 t Salt
1 t Ground cumin
1/4 t Chili powder
1/4 t Garlic powder
1/4 t Pepper
2 Chicken breasts
1/2 sm Jicama*, shredded
1/4 c Cilantro, chopped
1 sm Mango, chopped (optional)
1/4 c Tomatoes, chopped (optional)
1 avocado, peeled and sliced (optional)
2 T Almonds, toasted - your pick of sliver/sliced/chopped (optional)

Chop and rinse lettuce and set aside. Mix together salt, cumin, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder. Rub chicken with oil and sprinkle seasoning on top. Allow to sit/marinade 20-30 minutes. Grill or fry the chicken until done. Squeeze lime juice over chicken and allow to rest a few minutes before slicing/chopping up to keep juices from running out.

Meanwhile shred the jicama (I used my box cheese grater) and chop cilantro. Toss together with lettuce and top with chicken and desired toppings like mango, tomato, almonds, and/or avocado. I used the Lime Vinaigrette for a cool and refreshing summer salad.

* NOTE: I had no idea what a jicama (pronounced HICK-a-mah) was. It's a root vegetable from Mexico (a.k.a. Mexican turnip or yam). It's round, white and has a crunchy and mildly fiberous texture and a hint of sweetness. Becomes a bit wet while shredding, not so much when chopped, much like a carrot would. New users I would recommend shredding into small pieces to introduce yourself and move on to small pieces.

1 comment:

  1. so glad to find this recipe on your blog... i've been wanting to try jicama and had NO idea what to do with it... THANKS!!! :) now you need to make something with kohlrabi.....

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your feedback.