Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

No Ambition Lunch

I was seriously lacking ambition today at lunch and didn't feel like making anything. On those days, this is one of my quick fixes. Works really well when I have a little bit of everything left over. Thanks to my friend Elizabeth for the creative serving idea. The boys think this is a great picnic treat.

Take a muffin pan and fill in with your odds and ends. Today we ended up with saltines, dried cranberries, cheddar cheese, croutons, carrots, almonds, fruit snacks, and cherries. I really consider this a free meal because it's all leftovers where I've included the costs to other meals already. Realistically, this meal represents less than $2.00.

VARIATIONS
  • Veggies - Carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, cucumbers, beans, peppers, grape tomatoes, etc
  • Fruits - various dried, apple slices, orange segments, pear slices, peaches, nectarines, plums, bananas, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.
  • Nuts & Cheeses
  • Snack foods - crackers, chips, fruit snacks, cookies, etc
  • Dips - veggie dip, fruit dip, hummus, salsa, chocolate, etc
  • whatever you like.

3 comments:

  1. You're welcome. :) "Snack lunches" are a summer staple around here....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is kind of like a Bento Box on steroids! Nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea Jenelle! I did this today, sent them on the deck to sit at their picnic table, and the kiddos loved it! I will be sure to do this often! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your feedback.