Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

Brownie Cake

This is cake my son designed for his 6th birthday. He was very determined about what he wanted. He wanted a "brownie cake." I tried to clarify, do you want brownies or cake? He made it clear "a brownie on the bottom, then frosting, then more brownie, then more frosting, then a rainbow on top." It lots of chocolate and really rich, but I would do it again. Creative kid ideas that work. Need to get my boys conceptualizing some more.

So lessons I learned the hard way... Fudgy brownies don't come out of the pan well. I should have lined the pan with parchment paper to help pull it out. The good thing is that brownies are almost "moldable" so the pieces that fell apart I stuck back together and covered with frosting. The rainbow is made with Skittles, which get hard when they go stale. If the whole cake had been eaten right away it would have been no problem. M&Ms would have worked better.

Total Costs: $5.40
Brownie Mix $1.00 (Aldi)
Eggs $.20 (Cashwise)
Oil $.30 (Aldi)
Frosting $2.00 (homemade)
Skittles $1.89 (Cashwise)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your feedback.