Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Apple Au Jus

So, Monday was suppose to be pork roast on our Pantry Challenge menu. Slight problem. The package I thought was roast wasn't. Opps. So I found some pork country style ribs and concocted my own brine style braising juice. When the pork was done cooking, I strained the liquid  and then cooked it down a little bit. Served as a dipping liquid for the meat, it turned out wonderful. My 4-year-old thought dipping anything (including his hands) in the au jus was fun.


Pork Ribs, country style
2 c Apple juice
8-12 c Water
1 T Sea salt

I put the pork ribs in a large dutch oven pot. I added the apple juice, salt, and then enough water to just cover the meat. Cooked at 325 degrees for 2 - 2 1/2 hours, the meat was moist and flavorful. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon and keep warm. Pour the juices through a fine stainer or cheesecloth (my preferred method) and return to heat and boil for 5-10 minutes to reduce a bit.

Good news, enough left for leftovers to make BBQ pork and Mexican pork salad.

1 comment:

I'd love to hear your feedback.