Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Cinnamon Brunch Bake

Another scrumptious find at the Christmas Brunch Buffet. I have to say that my sister-in-law is a fabulous cook. I think I come home with a recipe after every family gathering for something she's made. This tasty cinnamon bake is no exception to the rule. I ate enough of it that I hardly had room for the rest of the amazing dishes that were put out

Note From Jenny: I followed the recipe cook times as printed when I made it for Christmas....which resulted in a slightly underdone dish. So, I am modifying the time and temperature to match what has been more successful for me. :)

10 cups bread cubes (1 regular sized loaf)
8 eggs
3 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Preheat oven to 360 degrees (might even want to try 375). Lightly grease a 9 by 13 baking dish. Line the bottom of the pan with the bread cubes. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, 4 tablespoons of the sugar, the salt, and vanilla. Pour the mixture over the bread. Dot with butter. Let stand for 10 minutes. Combine the remaining sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle over the top. Bake at 360 degrees for one hour, until top is golden. Serve with syrup and fresh fruit.

Total Cost: $2.65 - 3.25
Bread - $1.00 (Walmart - day old rack)
Eggs - $.80 (Sunmart)
Milk - $.60 (Cashwise) $1.20 organic
Sugar - $.25 (Sunmart)
Spices from pantry stock

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your feedback.