Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Crisp Fried Asparagus

Growing up I didn't know that asparagus could be boiled and mushy. I'm grateful for that. My mom always fried it. I still follow the same method my mom taught me but change up the seasoning just a bit.

1 lb Asparagus, washed, trimmed*, cut into bite size pieces
1 t Sea Salt
1/8 t Coarse black pepper
1/4 t Thyme, dried
1 T Butter or Coconut Oil
1/8 t Lemon zest (optional)

To trim* the asparagus, break off the bottom wood stem of the asparagus spear. When you bend to snap it, it naturally breaks at the tender/tasty point. Dispose of woody stem and chop remainder of spear into bite sized pieces. Meanwhile heat butter or oil in medium skillet. Add asparagus pieces and spices, stirring frequently over medium-high heat.

Cook until tender-crisp and serve immediately as a side dish or it can be added to pastas, sauces, rices, etc. This tastes like spring to me.

Total Cost: $1.85
Asparagus $1.80 (Cashwise)
Butter $.05 (Sunmart)
Spices from pantry stock

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your feedback.