Pages

Friday, April 23, 2010

Learning

I've loved to cook pretty much all my life. Over time, I've started to do okay with it. Sometimes pretty darn good. Other times, complete disaster... but I'm learning.

Lately, I've been learning even more. So much of how and what I've learned over the years is missing information. I did the best with what I knew. But with what I'm learning about food today, genetic engineering, additives, preservatives, chemicals, etc... I have to do better.

If you haven't read already, I have a child with a severe peanut allergy. That is part of why I am on this food quest. We are taking him in next week for more testing to see if more allergies have appeared. Something isn't right and we are trying to find out exactly what that is.

In my quest, here are a few of the resources that have me thinking these days.

JAMIE OLIVER'S FOOD REVOLUTION

and his Petition to Change speaks to what we can do to create a healthier life for our families. Much of that is about cooking from scratch and not relying on processed foods. This is a quest that I've been on for a while. We do well, but there are still "easy" crutches in my cupboards.


THE UNHEALTHY TRUTH: How Our Food Is Making Us Sick and What We Can Do About It by Robyn O'Brien

This book was startling to me to find out how little testing was done on products that the FDA clears. The impact that all of the additives, engineering, chemicals, and processing has on health and allergies is unknown. But it doesn't have to be this way. Studies can be done, they just aren't funded except by major corporations.

As a mother with a food allergy child, I have lots of concerns about what this means. I'm not taking everything at face value of what I've read, but rather this is starting my quest to research.


So I'm passing this on for you and your family to do your own food quest. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

In the meantime, you might see a difference in the recipes you find here. I hope that you enjoy them a bit more knowing that they are better for you and your family. I know that I'm feeling better at my kitchen table...

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever seen King Corn and/or The Future of Food? Both are fantastic and informative. Jon has read several Michael Pollen books and loves them. I don't read them - he just tells me what they say. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your feedback.