Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

For The Love of Pineapple

So, mention pineapple and you are bound to get mixed reviews. Usually people either love or hate it. I love a good pineapple. After having fresh ones in Hawaii, the store bought kind are just not the same, let alone canned. However, years later the memory of great pineapple has faded and I've learned to enjoy what's available on the mainland.

By far, my favorite way to eat pineapple is to grill it. I like to cut a fresh pineapple into long wedges and put them on skewers on the grill. It's an entirely different taste. The heat helps caramelize the sugars and yum. I've never tried to fry it, but I can imagine it would have similar results if you can leave it alone to brown slightly.

Skewer chunks of pineapple with chicken, pork, or shrimp and the juices help keep the meat moist. The grilled pineapple paired with grilled peppers, chicken, and mushrooms (which I don't usually like, but grilled with pineapple it was awesome) last night's cook out at our friends - was fabulous.

They had canned pineapple rings that they drained and threw on the grill and it was great as well. Sounds like a great summer treat to pull out mid-winter to me. Best of all, it's inexpensive. So happy fruit grilling to you.

NOTE: let it cool down before eating. Hot pineapple is not nearly as enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your feedback.